Steve Hiett (born 1940) is an English photographer, based in Paris.
Life and work
After studying he joined a psych/pop band, The Pyramids. This experience led to him photographing Jimi Hendrix backstage in the 1970s. In addition Hiett began a series of photos of empty suburban streets that resulted in his first book, Pleasure Places (Flash Books, 1975).
During the 1980s he worked as a photographer and developed his signature style of over-saturated images, off-centre framing and dazzling flash.
In the same period he made a guitar solo album in Japan for Sony/CBS: Down On The Road By The Beach accompanied by a photo book. He has said "I just loved writing music and playing guitar. When all that came to a close for various reasons I still took my guitar with me where ever I went. In the 80’s I made a guitar album in japan and also played on some french tv commercials and actually had a hit on a record in France by the singer Valli which I co produced and played guitar on. I am still working at playing guitar and writing music."
In the 1990s Hiett moved to New York City and did graphic design and typography. There he met Franca Sozzani, who invited him to return to Paris and work for Vogue Italia. He has said "I then realized there was a whole new world of fashion magazines. And my career as a fashion photographer seemed to start all over again. My style has evolved with the new digital technology but I guess it still looks almost the same."
Hiett has photographed celebrities Jimi Hendrix, Sophia Loren, The Beach Boys, The Doors, Miles Davis, Uma Thurman, Diane Kruger, Nathalie Wood, Julie Driscoll, The Rolling Stones, Sandie Shaw, Joni Mitchell, and The Hollies. He has worked for the fashion magazines Marie Claire, Vogue Italia, The Face,Vogue France, Vogue China, Vogue Russia, Vogue Spain, Harper's Bazaar, Visionnaire, Hunger, Nova, Elle, and Glamour.
- Down On The Road By The Beach, Galerie Watari, Tokyo, May 1983
- Vogue's Glittering World, Galleria Carla Sozzani, Milan, 15–31 December 1999
- La Femme Cachée – London, Berlin, Milan, Shangai, C/O Gallery, Berlin, 29 May – 11 June 2003
- Electric Fashion, Wouter van Leeuwen, Amsterdam, 3 March – 7 April 2007
- Visontrack, Galerie Maeght, Paris, 5 February – 14 March 2009
- Out Takes, Somerset House, London, 12–28 October 2012
- The Song Remains the Same, Villa Noailles, Hyères 2014 Festival international de mode et de photographie, 28 April – 24 May 2014
- Urban Grace, 7.24×0.26 Gallery, Milan, Italy, 26 June – 15 September 2014
- She Knows Me Too Well: Some Early Photographs, Galerie Madé, Paris, 27 November 2014 – 24 January 2015
- Beyond Blonde, Galleria Carla Sozzani, Milan, Italy, 24 February – 3 April 2016
- Cool Pola, Galerie La Hune, Paris, 5 December 2016 – 15 February 2017
- Steve Hiett Polaroids, Galerie Madé, Paris, 14 September - 20 October 2017
- Pleasure Places. Flash Books, 1975
- Down on the Road by the Beach. Sony/CBS, 1982.
- Hyper Real Soul. gallery 213, 2000.
- Femme Cachée. Joop Jeans; Milan: Vogue Italia, 2005
- Glittering World. Condé Nast Italy, 2006
- Portraits de Ville: New York. Paris: be-pôles, 2012.
- Roland Garros. Paris: Martiniere, 2015. With a preface by Philippe Labro.
- Beyond Blonde. Munich: Prestel, 2015. Philippe Garner. "Traces the evolution of his first shots, taken in Bromley of "simple pictures of quiet empty places" to his time as art director at Arthur Elgort’s Model Manual and his ongoing work in fashion today."